FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 04:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie - Hello, FC Wagon  (Read 20698 times)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »

Hmmmmmm, 6 months time and not too many dollars to spend - I would steer clear of the V8 option.
Even getting the red six up and running with the necessary certification will require lots of dollars & effort. Do you have a clear indication of budget?

$5000

$10000

$20000

Ken
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »

I love this picture of it - looks like a toy.
Hehehehe it was a toy...A life size one.I had the pleasure of going for a blast in it at Mt gambier nats and it goes real well....355 355...  Grin Jamie

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
maree_bradross

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »

Hi Ken, budget is very tight hopefully around the $5k mark - will probably end up being double the time and money though if it is anything like house renovations.
These floods through a big spanner in the works though - my brother is currently up at Ipswich, he has vacated his workshop and the water is lapping at the door. The semi's that has all his stock in it has been stopped enroute and already has water in the trailers. I am very worried for him
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »

Yes it has been very sad to see & hear about the devastation in QLD. I hope that you brother is OK.

In my opinion 5k will be way short of what is needed.

Getting paint and body work for nothing will help, but when you think that just getting a front and rear bumper rechromed nowadays costs $1000, money goes very fast.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »

Hi Maree

Like the others said, something is worth what someone is willing to pay, so you stop thinking about the purchase price if you love it, because that is the cheap bit  Smiley

It's good to not go into these things in a rush, don't put too much of a time limit on it as this like anything in life will only detract from the whole experience, plus if your bro is going to do a lot of it with you, make sure you go at his pace and don't rush it.

I have done up cars b4 and rushed and taken short cuts and afterwards u end up thinking "i wish i did this or that better when the car was apart".

I am planning this one very carefully (my FE with FB30), as FC Hoon has said to me and I agree, try to think ahead a bit and make difficult ( or what may seem to be) changes to suit possible future alterations, like if you want a bigger motor and don't wanna do it yet, you may as well do those little upgrades like wipers and brakes while everything is out....just think ahead a bit if its a long term car you will keep. I am at about same stage as you b ut have started a month ago.

For instance I might do a stock RB30 to start with but will probably put in a heavier rear driveline if I plan the same running gear. If I was gunna go v8 later, then id probably spit a few diffs and go with what I got now because I'd have to do different gearbox and tailshaft anyway etc.

Going V8 adds a whole new ball game, heavy engine requires good front end and chassis setup versus a straight six or v6 etc etc...

Cheers and good luck.

Deano.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »

budget is very tight hopefully around the $5k mark - will probably end up being double the time and money though if it is anything like house renovations.

It's definately a lot like doing a house reno but you've got the right idea, whatever you think it will cost double it and you will be getting close, don't let it discourage you though there is nothing like the feeling of driving a classic.
            Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
the.jet.57

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »

Yes it has been very sad to see & hear about the devastation in QLD. I hope that you brother is OK.

In my opinion 5k will be way short of what is needed.

Getting paint and body work for nothing will help, but when you think that just getting a front and rear bumper rechromed nowadays costs $1000, money goes very fast.

Ken

hi ken and everyone else

5k is around the mark,
we build race cars for a living, export parts from the states, japan for the racing industry, along with crate, mopar,etc engine, and we where just about to start exporting american musscle cars, but floods stopped that now.
as for 6 month its going to be a little bit longer now, damn water
the.jet.57

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »

Hi Ken, budget is very tight hopefully around the $5k mark - will probably end up being double the time and money though if it is anything like house renovations.
These floods through a big spanner in the works though - my brother is currently up at Ipswich, he has vacated his workshop and the water is lapping at the door. The semi's that has all his stock in it has been stopped enroute and already has water in the trailers. I am very worried for him
[/color]

workshop has meter of mud in it lol, and stinks!!!!

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »

theres water bloody everywhere! Im just downstream of horsham and the river is 3 km wide Smiley holding up my project digging levies and drains for neighbours etc.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe-ambo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »

Best of luck with the floods. Hope things dont get too wet for you.

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: