FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:32:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Price guide on Forum  (Read 4878 times)
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2003, 07:34:29 PM »

It seems every second person who enters our Forum , wants to know how to value his/her (for cat) FE/FC. My suggestion is we incorporate some type of Price guide into the forum somewhere . Entering into it determining factors such as Body style , Original/modified, Body condition , Rego and other things. And with this we come up with some sort of guide to a fair price . I realize cars will fluctuate Greatly , But as a guide it may be very helpful to newcomers , What do you guys reckon.

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 06:01:22 AM »

Hi Slim
As a guy who has only had his FC for about 4 months or so I can see were your coming from, but I would rather see a what to look for page when buying an FE/FC.

I beleive if a person knows what they should look for and were to look for it then they will make up there own mind as to what they are willing to pay.

I beleive I paid to much for my car, but that was my choice and I have to live with my deccission.

Just my thoughts

There are to many variables when trying to put a price to a car, ie is it standard straight from the factory

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
craiga
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 06:58:32 AM »

Slim,

I agree with Jim on this one, and I reckon you and a few other like Ken and 4Hammers would have plenty to offer in regard to what to look for in an FE/FC.

Some points that would be of help in such a guide would be:

Common Rust area's
Desirable/Rare Model types
Desirable options and accessories
Rare Colours/Combinations
Valuable modifications/transplants

and many other points.

Anyone else interested in compiling something?

Cheers,

Craig.
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 08:09:48 AM »

I like the idea of a "what to look  out for page" on the forum when purchasing an FE or FC, such as where to look for rust etc,it would certainly help a lot of inexperienced  people planning to buy one of these great early holdens.  Smiley  Tony
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 12:45:36 AM »

I agree that it would be agood idea to have what to look for when looking at the cars.That would give people an idea on what vehicle should be worth.
WAYNE
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 10:22:43 AM »

:)Its not a bad idea. But at the end of the day it comes down to seeing what you are about to buy and its only worth what you are willing to pay no matter what prise is on the window.
Regards Leon. Wink
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 12:55:29 AM »

I think a Guide to what to look for when buying an FE/FC would be a terrific idea, and an excellent addition to the Tech Info area.  I don't have the time (or the expertise) to write it, but if anyone else wants to, I will happily edit, format and turn it into a webpage like the ones done in recent times on Fuel, floor-shift conversions etc.

Send as plain text, Word document or whatever to my email address at left.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 08:19:45 AM »

Hi All
Seeing as I put my 2 cents worth in and made the suggestion I will volunteer to compile the information.

So send me your info on what to look for and were to look. I will colate data supplied into some sort of order and forward it on to Ret for his finishing touches. Please include sketches showing different area's on the car and the laymans term used for those area's.

No matter how trivial it may be, even if you think some one else may have sent me the info send it any way.

Lets see what we can do to save our valuable Australian motoring history from the scrap heap and get them back on to the road one way or another.

see below for email address.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 08:22:02 AM by Ariesguy65 » Logged

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 10:05:06 PM »

Hi All
Its good to see well all have good follow through. I have not received any info as yet. So Slim sorry to say I think you well intended efforts were all for nothing mate. I suppose we are all a little selfish and wanna keep this classic cars to ourselves.

So fellow enthusiasts and caretakers of these old classics do not jepodise the future of these cars, what will your kids be driving in 20 years time it will not be an FE/FE if you do not help via info to save what is left now.

SLIM give a pep talk mate and get them motivated. We need some info.

HARKO
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 11:18:27 PM »

I know it can be a little frustrating Jim but its also a little hard to put on to paper.
Think of it this way - Anywhere mainly in the lower sections of the body may be rusted ,Bogged over ,Braised in repairs - which reacts and causes rust, or just bodgy replacement panels.
As looking for most of this is common sense it would work out to be an essay to write what to look for.
My advice is to know what rust looks like -Know what bog looks and sounds like, and dont be overwhelmed by the cool car you could buy, There will be more available and your patience is invaluable.
If you see rust (Use a torch to see under the car, A magnet to find thick bog which isnt always rust underneath anyways) Use your common sense and imagine how difficult, Structural, Or large the area will be to repair also taking into account rust grows and you will almost always cut out a very large area around visible rust to have good metal to weld too (rusty metal is thin and impure and will melt when hit with a welder.

Main points on FE/FC = Floor pans caused by leaks from bad seals mainly.
Lower area behind front guard - Build up of dirt spatter off front wheel, Does affect headlight peaks .
Sills = years of built up dirt carried in through small areas towards the front via vibration wind water etc.
Boot = leaking seals, Could affect tank aswell.

Someone mentioned to get a Rare Sares brochure on rust repair sections and check those spots - Absoloutely brilliant advice for the first timer or inexperienced.

I dont think we are being selfish Jim ,Just hard to explain Wink
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 11:48:13 PM »

I just plain forgot I even put this poll up , as the subjects get pushed down the scale very quickly , I would make an attempt , but the Heirachy are far better equiped to cope and more informed than little old me.

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2003, 02:30:55 AM »

Hi all.
No, I don't think it is because we are all selfish & we want to keep the cars to ourselves, but really, what should we write? If someone wants to buy a car of this vintage, I would be amazed if they had no idea that these cars can be a problem.
You may get a bit frustrated there were no replies, but do not forget, this is a hobby for most of us, not a job & it can require a lot of time to sit down & write soomething down. I don't know how the hell RET finds time, I would be in deep shite if I mucked around for the same amount of time he did. My wife would kill me.

Jim,
don't let it frustrate you. If you REALLY want to get frustrated, join a Committee in a car club. I am the Secretary of the FE HR Holden C/C of TAS & that is frustrating. You get all these people who sit there & tell you what should be done, but will not even bother helping out one bit when the doing need to get done!!
One guy in our club is such a frigging pain, all he can do is ask "Why bother doing this?" & "Why bother doing that?" When it came to selling some tickets in a raffle, not only couldn't he not bother selling any, he didn't even bother buying one himself. Why the F&*K he is in a club has me 100% beat. The next time he opens his mouth at a meeting, chances are very high, I am gonna go off.

Hmm, sorry, Jim. I started rambling then, but like I said, try not to let this frustrate you. Get the stuff together yourself & then you can show us how it is done.
RJ

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2003, 07:00:48 AM »

Hi Guy's
I see I got the desired response. I am not frustrated by no responses. My frustration is of another kind, wifes away for a month so I am bored and need something to do.

I can not do much to my car as funds are low at present and the old guy who is going to fix my subframe can not fit me in for about another 2 weeks. Once this is done I will be driving the old girl to work atleast twice a week and working on her as much as possible.

If I had a big shed I would have striped the old girl right down by now and would have bitz and pieces all over the place. I hope I find a place to buy soon that has every mans dream (its gotta be a Triton shed lol).

Rob
I am on the commitee of the club and you forget I am in the Defence Force thats were I get frustrated the most. I love going to club meetings I use that as stress relief and have a few beers with the boys. We have ppl in our club just the same as every other club, but hey every one to thier own.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: