FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:04:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: proportioning valve/booster problem  (Read 4228 times)
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »

my brakes are fading (almost not there!) but there is plenty of vacuum ,got a small leak out of booster though ,i'm told the twin master cylinder is hooked up backwards.i'm thinking the prop valve or booster is the problem.gonna switch the brake lines over  tomorrow but i dont wanna waste my time as i have to travel 2 1/2 hours to work on my car on the weekends.
i envy you all with garages.

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:43:42 AM »

i figure its not the brake lines
couldn't be bothered changing them so i ripped out the booster instead,its a hg or torana booster. do they look the same? or is there a difference?

waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »

well i will just keep posting my own replies hey.
pulled my booster apart today,it had a ripped diaphram rubber if i'm calling it the right thing.
rang rare spares they didn't have a diaphram rubber replacement but as always the clueless salesman on the phone told me you can't buy em but i could get it recoed through them .haha.
$230
priced boosters from wreckers every where from 80 to 150 ,
went to repco
guy looks at it types in the number .
47 bucks
hahaha
get it tomorrow
if anyone wants to reco ya booster its way easier than ya think

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

Good to be able to get the parts at the right price, but don't assume that you have recoed the booster by replacing the diaphragm.

Ken
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »

thanks ken,
i'm changing all the seals etc,what else do they do when they reco a booster?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »

Like a master cylinder - a booster has an aluminium cylinder which the piston runs up and down in. And just like a master cylinder, it gets worn oval or gets pitting or score marks - This part of the booster body should be stainless sleeved just like you would do with an old master cylinder. It's a 50-50 sort of thing - sometimes you can get away without sleeving and the booster will be fine for years, Sometimes you can buy a used booster and just run it as it is and it will last for years, other times it will leak after a few months. This is why a good booster reco company will sleeve the body of the booster just to be sure.  This is where a fair bit of the cost goes.

Ken
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »

ken,
as always thanks for your indepth wisdom
repco stuffed me around and told me they'd ring me when it came in. called them on a wednesday after getting worried it wouldn't come by friday so i could fit it on the weekend.
goose says oh sorry yeah they don't make em anymore,ya gotta buy in bulk.
100 or so
wednesday 1 pm i'm frantic called brabond brakes at peakhurst legend says yep i'll get ya one by 4
used em a few times and if they dont have it on the shelf they get it that day for ya
i highly recommend them now .
she stops beautifully even though its not a full reco but now at  least i understand the cost of a reco is probably worth it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: