FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 07:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted .... NASCO HEATER FOR FC  (Read 3953 times)
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2004, 10:13:07 AM »

Hi there I am chasing not 1 but 2 NASCO heaters in working condition or at least very repairable  for two of my FC Holdens.  I will pay the going rate so give me some feedback please folks.... Cheers streetneat

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:54:52 AM »

Andrew
Have you checked out ebay. There have been a few for sale of late, A couple from Tassy and a couple from QLD starting prices were from $199.

Some Nasco and some Smiths, some with demister vents and some without.

I always search under NASCO or FC Holden or FX,FJ,FE,FC  All of these searches are in the Automotive area.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 12:22:39 PM »

Thanks for that... I will checkout ebay but the prices get a bit BS ....... I thought I might try some guys here first that are not opportunists.... Cheers streetneat.....

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 11:03:57 AM »

I think that the going rate for a "Working" Warmaride heater with demisters would not be far off the mark at $200.  I know of many sold for more than that.
Beware of buying heaters for $50, invariably they leak and the core is NOT repairable.
The only success I have had with Warmarides is with fitting the core from a Bosch heater.  The Bosch heater is bullet proof and with some modification to the Warmaride base plate, it will fit the Bosch core.
Now bear in mind that this involves not only buying the Warmaride heater but also a donor Bosch heater plus time and effort for the conversion.  So it can be an expensive exercise as neither heater is common any more.
I have built about 5 of these so far for Vic car club members who have all bought Warmaride heaters that leak.
Another thought - even if you do buy a Warmaride heater that works - they are only suitable for 7 lb pressure, not 13 lb red motor pressure (or higher)
Chances are the core will leak after not too much time with any more than a grey motor.
Hope this info is of use.

Ken
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 11:37:11 AM »

Hmmm Ken... so what choices does this leave me? The reason I wanted a heater was so When the wifes car is on the road and its raining , she might be able to see. My daily driver is my FC Ute and when out in the rain I was wondering how my poor wife was going to cope with a car with out any device for clearing the screen... I find I can live with it but not sure if its a bit dangerous to expect her to do the same... Times like that I think she is better not to ditch her very safe VR Commodore... Its the old adage of its not how you feel its how you look...So we are fitting a red motor (186 S ) and Trimatic to an otherwise stock and  soon to be fully restored FC Sedan... I want somthing that will work but not detract from its looks or originality.  So any suggestions welcomed. I will be posting oics on streetneat.com as we do this resto and Kim started on it ( her FC ) today...  Cheers streetneat.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 02:37:20 PM »

Streetneat, type hairdryers into the search area, I'm sure some of the blokes have set up dual hairdryers under the dash for demisters, and I think Ed makes the vents. The missus can dry her hair at the same time!
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »

Gday Zulu;
                  I tried this one once b4 ....They draw a huge amount of amps and are bloody noisy.... So I would rather some sort of demister that is a bit more commonly used in FC's.... I do have a smiths heater and may use this yet ... I am quite capabale of adapting late model jap heaters...  I was just wondering what every one else uses... Cheers stretneat BTW I assume you got the Steering wheel  OK?....

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 10:39:58 PM »

Heaters/demisters.. the worst thing about an FE/FC IMHO.

Still trying to find a better way too.

Im using a Smiths.. This is OK but it seems to take up alot of space.  Are these susceptible to shitting themselves under hi(gher) pressure as well??

I found some ceramic heaters at JayCar on the weekend which could easily slot under the dash however the salesperson couldnt tell me how noisy they were and couldnt hook it up to power to show me.

Ive considered hooking up a Jap heater from either a Charade or Datsun 120Y in the past, but for some reason or not.. never did it.  The Charade has a nice conrol panel, and the heater is in the bowels of a plastic box.  Perhpas the core from a jap heater may be an easier option?

demisters.. I was about to make up more vents.. the cold is coming again and I still havent finished all those previous orders up.

I bought these heated bars that sucker cap onto the window and work as demisters... apparently. at the very least I have  my rego requirements covered.. but a decent heater/fan/demist unit still eludes me.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 03:22:57 AM »

snip...
I bought these heated bars that sucker cap onto the window and work as demisters... apparently. at the very least I have  my rego requirements covered.. but a decent heater/fan/demist unit still eludes me.

Yes I have one of them in Faecal which met the requirement for rego, but is completely and utterly ineffective at demisting the screen.  It takes about 30 miles with the thing running to demist the three inches of screen above it.  I find keeping a towel in the car for this purpose much more effective.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 11:54:39 AM »

My current FE has red motor with straight Bosch heater as it is not original so I didn't worry about originality.
This heater is very good and once installed inside a Warmaride heater is identical to original.

My demister demists as quickly as my VS Commodore and I cant fault it in any way.

Ken
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 08:03:21 PM »

Gday Ken . So from what I understand I need a Warmaride heater (FC?) and fit a bosch element inside it. I then need the vents from your self?... So would you have the required bits I need or a complete set up I could buy from you?...Are you able to come up with a complete package for me?... I am willing to pay you for what you feel is a fair thing if you can come up with a system for me. We are running a 186S and Auto and also not overly concerned with originality as long as it goes with the general feel of a stock interior... Cheers Streetneat....

fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 08:40:17 PM »

Hi Ken,
          My Warmaride in my Fe Ute just sprung a leak in the core last weekend,after you help streetneat,I would also be interested in a bosch heater also.

Cheers Geoff
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 06:25:24 AM »

Where do you get the Bosch heaters from Ken. Sounds like yours works a lot better than the standard EJ/EH style Warmaride in my car. It makes a lot of noise but doesn't seem to move alot of air and is nowhere near as good as a modern car.

I thought one of the reasons old cars tend to fog up unless you have the windows open (not fun in Canberra winters no matter how good the exhaust note) was that they don't have flow through ventilation (introduced on HQ). Most modern cars have A/C too which helps a lot.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: