FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:23:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Horn buttons  (Read 16635 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2005, 10:52:07 PM »

As I said, I've yet to see a gold one that convinced me, but I'm certainly open to the possibility.  Train-spotter or not, there are others much more obsessed by horn buttons than I am, and I don't claim to have researched the topic exhaustively.  What I do know is that there is only a single part number for FE-FC horn buttons (7409517), every other model has one and only one horn-button, and I've never seen anything 'official' to explain why there might have been deliberate variations in the colour.  I don't deny their existence, nor did I suggest they're "unoriginal".

I know only a little about the decoration process for these things, but I still lean towards variations in tinting being responsible for these odd-ball horn-buttons.  After all, if you're working with all three primary colours, it's not hard to produce green (B+Y), violet (B+R) or brown (B+R+Y).

But I can see this could lead into an "Intelligent Design" vs. "Accident of Nature" debate now, so I'll bow out too.  Cheesy

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 11:37:48 PM »

Hey Rob, I have the one with the gold centre and yes it does look like the gold is original (not faded) but I wouldn't know for sure.

I thought when I bought the Ute that the horn button was faded so I bought a blue centre one off ebay (the usual high price) and replaced the gold one.  Blue Ute ........ blue horn centre.  Remember I'm trying to re-create what I had 40 years ago.

I did have one chap, restores FE FC stuff, look at the gold centre and looked at me jaw dropped, eyes wide open and said "You've got the good horn button there!!"

And RET there is no part No. on the gold one and is painted white underneath not silver.  I'll post some pics.

Kev

1959 FC Holden Ute
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 12:25:13 AM »

Here is the pic of the gold one.

If you look at the original discussion about horn buttons there two pics of 5 horn buttons, one of those buttons is the same as mine.  Gold, white on the back, with no part No.

Kev

1959 FC Holden Ute
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 05:17:52 AM »

Although not FE/FC  but I have 3 EK horn buttons, 2 silver & 1 is 3/4 gold & 1/4 silver & all 3 have holden part numbers on them (so is it a case of the gold is turning silver or the silver turning gold).
My theory is the gold is possibly a result of a degradation of the silver pigment combined with the sun/light affect on the clear resin (making it yellow) to give the allusion of gold.  

I think this needs a Royal commission  LOL
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 06:47:44 AM »

Well,what a saga.I will be your classic fence sitter.I have 9 horn buttons(horn ring hole covers ;)and every single one is a different colour.The ones with the white painted back seem to have retained their colour better( red,blue and silver) than the ones with silver backs and have no part numbers on them.One has even gone completely silver.On several,the lion is part silver and part gold in no particular pattern.It would be far easier to just put this into the seven wonders of the world category before the whole web site comes crashing down around us!!!! :-/

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: