FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Modification 70's style  (Read 9706 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:39:44 PM »

As there isn't much happening at the moment i thought some you might be interested in how we modified our early holdens(FC station wagon for me) in the mid 70's. On the gold coast at that time custom parts were almost none existant and good tools were only owned by tradesmen, you couldn't just whip down to your local speed shop for a set of lowered springs. So the first thing would be to get the car on level ground crawl under the front and apply heat to one of the coils of a spring until it sagged onto the next coil, then repeat on other side, instantly lowered a couple of inches. The look back then was low in front jacked up in the rear, which was also necessary to stop big rear wheels from scraping. So the next step was to jack the car up by the body, insert a long wheelbrace into the shackle and flip it over so it hung down, repeat on other side and your car was now at what felt like a 45 degree angle(good until you go round a corner too fast or hit a pothole and then you had to repeat the process on the side of the road)Step 3 was to go to the dump (The dump had a row of  cars that you could take parts off for free) cut some exhaust pipe off something with a bigger diameter then take it home and cut and weld into something resembling a sports system usually with just a little hot dog on the end. Add a floor shift some tiger skin seat covers,curtains and a sticker that said "Virgins wanted apply within" and we thought we had the hottist thing on four wheels, then it was off to surfers for the sat. night cruise the block and drags,sometimes we would even make it home without blowing a motor or something coming loose. ALL THE MODIFICATIONS i have described here are highly illegal and i am not recomending anyone do them.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
nige and Jody

Where do I start?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »

hehehehe,

I clearly remember dad sticking a bottle jack between the rear wheel arch and the body of our FB and jacking the wheel arches out a couple of inches so he could fit some wide chromies in. 

How did we all not die?

Nige

FC225 (in progress), FB215 (waiting), EJ229A (go'er)
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

ha ha ha thats brings back memories  Cheesy
i applied the said lowering / jacking treatment to my old HR sedan in the eraly eighties. pretty close to zero travel in the front springs, but i used a hacksaw as i didnt have access to a hot axe Tongue
and having the bum in the air was always fun until that unexpected bump in the road  Shocked mind you it allowed you to really swing the arse end around when you put the boot into it. Grin

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 02:42:03 PM »

Pedro - I think the tiger skin seat covers will still pass todays rule - lol

But yes, I had one of those FC's as well.
Mine was 2 tone green and we made longer shackle arms from a bit of steel we had lying around so that it was even higher at the rear. (I think our car had sagged springs as we were still getting tyre scrape)

Ken
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »

my first custom interior consisted of dark blue crushed velvet dor trims with diamond studded pattern.
very plush and very very classy Grin

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »

Yeah the angle of the car realy affected the steering geometry and it made the car handle like a pig but to us it was cooool Cool. I like to think i have out grown the seat covers and my wife won't let me put that sticker on but luckily i never out grew love for FC holdens, I've just learnt to treat them better. I still drive a wagon exactly the same colours as my first car, burgundy and white.Standard exept for wide 14 inch rims,extractors and 2 inch system and i still feel like it's the best thing on the road(even without the seat covers) Grin

F4+
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:04:01 PM »

i broke a spring in the bush and had to fit EH ute springs from the bush to get home, the back sat high and made the 185 tyres look like cheesecutters,  i drove it like that for a week, steering was hell and scared shit out of me and nothing normally scares me.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »

Just out of curiosity why does my bit where it says report to moderator have a number and everyone elses says logged is there something i'm supposed to be doing

F4+
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »

nah, nothing to worry about that is normal.
cant give the teshnikal explanation though. one of them moderators could when they finished enjoying themselves Wink

Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 06:37:40 PM »

Lucky bastards over there in south oz,still no pics yet eh Smithy?
                                 Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »

nah, the buggers are holding out on us Sad

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 06:56:59 PM »

No worries, thanks, those pics must be coming any time now.

F4+
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:39:55 PM »

I modified my FE in the early 60s
Cut the front springs so short had to shorten the bump stop rubbers
Fitted lowering blocks to the rear springs
The shock absorbers were rebuilt to stiffen them
Had a thicker front anti sway made up
I made tramp rods from an FX taxi rail
Fitted add on whitewalls to tyres
Fitted rear mudguard spats (which were later stolen)
Painted the rear lower body, quarters and spats the same as the roof colour
Fitted FC fins
Also fitted an FJ motor that I reconditioned and modified

The car looks much the same now but with standard suspension
I still have the motor in my shed but it needs reconditioning

Cheers
Mal

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »

Just out of curiosity why does my bit where it says report to moderator have a number and everyone elses says logged is there something i'm supposed to be doing
That's your IP address, so if you are naughty we can "hunt you down like a dog"  Grin
Most people can only see their own, privacy I guess, but the Mods and Admins see everything  Wink

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 10:57:08 AM »

I'd better be a good boy then and not say anything derogatory about fe's Cheesy

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 12:43:23 PM »

Pedro You mean the other type of Holden [fe] we can't all get it right and drive FC's ......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 01:04:53 PM »

As homer would say " mmmmmmmmmmm chrome. Wink

F4+
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »

I can vividly remember heading for the wall of pentridge prison on the street that linked bell street with sydney road when the good ol floor shift broke off just as i was changing up to second,just got a bit distracted mounted the gutter and stopped about 10 feet off the wall,the guard in the tower looked under impressed Angry,the girl friend(now wife)started mumbling something about old cars and stuffing around with them.
Gee she's harsh my fc was only 18 at the time. Cheesy
Cheers
Deano

FE and FC"S rule.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »

I had a FC wagon that had a Speco triple carb manifold, 40/80 cam, much modified cylinder head, decked block, bored to 3.250", 149 Hi Top Weslite pistons, 5 speed 240Z 'Box, 3.36 LSD rear end and HR disc brake front end. I used to meet up with a few mates, leave Canberra of a Friday afternoon after work and tear down to Batemans Bay. (Canb to Batemans Bay 150km) I used to have to fill up at Braidwood to make it.

The way I drove back then........... I certainly didn't do anything back then to help solve the shortage of oil and petroleum products Roll Eyes

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »

Sounds like you could pass everything but servos Grin, but seriously not in our wildest fantasy could we have imagined you could do all those modifications to an early holden at that point in time in qld. even now living in hervey bay i still feel like i'm a million miles from all the action,it's great to have this website so i can keep in touch. Cool

F4+
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: