FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air conditioning  (Read 38750 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Did he mention choice of gas or anything

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

Hi SGO
Mate when I look closer at your picture it looks like your compressor is almost identical to the one I swapped for and thanks for the picture it does make sense and the bracket is almost identical to how I imagined it to be.

I'll identify and post pics of the compressor after I have fitted it up for all to see.

Did you wire your compressor and underdash unit up if so a wiring diagram or you assistance would be a great help SGO.

I dont know why you are so concerned about the gas Dean the label on the side of the compressor tells you what gas it is built to use.

Neil H
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »

The wiring is about as complicated as a normal fan heater Wink
I can send some info I have that may help;
contact me on sgomachen(at)hotmail(dot)com
cheers, George.

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »

I have taken my lead from SGO (thanks mate) it appears that our compressors are almost identical.

I have made my brackets but for some reason when I try to upload from imgur I can only get one photo a day may have something to do with my companies security on our computers so you have to wait until tomorrow ha ha.

Standard Commodore A/C serpentine belt fits (already mounted and tried on my EK's engine in the workshop) now to take it home and see if I can mount it on the sedan.

Regards
Neil H
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »

Well gentlemen (and any ladies reading this) I have installed the compressor, the angle of the photo makes it look as if it is not aligned however I am pretty confident that I have it very very close.

I have not been able to put the belt on yet as the lower radiator hose is touching the pulley so I will replace the hose and get it out of the way.

I had to redrill the mounting holes in my lower bracket and get the compressor closer to the block; for some reason it was fouling not sure as it was very hard to see without dismantling half of my engine bay.

I would recommend not doing this with the engine in the car  Roll Eyes after a lot of swearing scun knuckles and some more swearing  Grin it did go in but I wish I had of started this a lot earlier in the build.

Now to fit the condensor and then the underdash unit, oh my god, my advise do it early or don't do it at all  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin 
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »

These are the brackets that I made to mount the A/C Compressor before I made the attempt to fit it and when I actually got it mounted the only change I had to make was to redrill the 2 holes in the lower bracket (the forked one) to get the bottom of the compressor closer to the block.

The extra piece that I added to the lower forked bracket was to give enough space so that the bolt that bolts the bracket to the engine mount (and is one of the engine mount bolts) can still be tightened without it interferring with the bracket and you can still get a socket on the head of the bolt.

Regards
Neil H
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »

Here is some pics of my new air con and heater unit that arrived today.....happy somewhat.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »

So is that the same as Wayne's or nes's. What's the brand again? If your making up any custom bits or you do change the firewall, can ya pls put them in your computer for me for later. I'm not sure why ppl don't seem to be getting the concept or reason for straightening the firewall. Is there anyone that has a machine to rib steel to make it look good or what's your thoughts on it. I thought it could be a bolt on somehow or clipped on with a seal like van covers. Might be a good option since your getting rid of the air cowl. I actually though (or overthought this perhaps) that a cool old school looking cold air intake could be put in the original cowls place or a gauge cluster. Would be something different anyway!

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »

Yes Deano the cowl has gone and my whole plenum has changed and flattening of the firewall I think has merit, and it's a swaging tool to make the line your talking about which are mainly used to stop vibration and to look good as well lol.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 10:28:15 PM »

That's it. I hear fc hoon talk about it all the time. Do you have one? I'll ask the guys tomoz if I get that far if they have a good one or press etc.

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »

So is your plan to shift the firewall forward only where the air con is going and face the air outlets in which direction . Remove the glove box and then come out there . Just finding it very interesting ,maybe some parcel pockets on the front door trims like my panel van [to replace the glove box] .Cheers Haydn
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »

Hey there Haydn, did you see the unit I purchased it has four outlets I want to run the two middle ones to the screen vents and the outer two I am putting custom outlets on the face of the dash on the outside of both sides if that makes sense, so the grille in the dash will be just for looks and the unit will fit in behind it if I move the firewall out, and Deano I don't have a swager but I do plane on making it look like it was always there.
Don't know if I cleared much up there because the runs have set in on thirsty Thursday lol.
Frankie.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »

Check out the taxi page. We found the diamonds!

Deano

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 07:31:39 AM »

Yeah Deano how cool are they
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »

Yeah mate got it ,bit like Waynes only in the centre . You will really need a cable drive wiper set up ,over to the left of the glove box . Little advice , like I said on the other [firewall topic ] would be a good idea to get the wipers set up as soon as you get the space you need ,then hot wire them and check before anything goes in ,then forget them
 .Otherwise the space under the dash cramps up real quick as you start ducting the vents and wiring and so on. Cheers Haydn
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »

Yeah Haydn good advise and I used to do the same in the 90's on the fj's it works well and something you don't have to worry about later.
John Aust

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »

Thanks Haydn,
The diagram would be good and any pics you have. What brand of compressor did you use and does the Type/Size of the condenser have to match the size of the under dash unit? Did the air con take much power out of the motor?
Cheers,
Graham
I have read your post from last year. I am planning to put air conditioning on my grey motor. Can you offer any advice on this topic? I saw Haydens bracket in another Forum and it looks feasible.  John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: