FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 05:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: steering question  (Read 8688 times)
bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:29:44 AM »

just wondering if anybody knows any ways of tightening up a really loose old holden steering setup. ive heard just packing the steering box up with heaps of grease can help, but what other cures are there?

thanks

I Think Therefore I Am?..... or I Am Therefore I Think?
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:42:11 AM »

Replace worn components Wink
ACE  Cool
bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 02:12:47 AM »

cool thanks,

are there any specific parts you can tell me that would most probably be the problem?

craiga
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 03:08:24 AM »

Mr Hawke,

Jack the front of the car up and then you can check the front end properly. Put it on stands because your gonna need to give it a bit of a shake.

In turn, grab each of the front wheels at the top and bottom, putting alternate pressure in and out. Do you feel any movement? If so the wheel bearing or most likely a king pin is worn.

Now in turn grab each wheel at the leading and trailing edge and alternate pressure in and out. Do you feel any movement? If so the problem is either tie rod ends or more than likely worn drag link.

These problems could also be caused by the upper and lower A arm pins but these are usually OK.

Now grab the steering wheel and move it back and forth and feel where it gets heavier. You should have minimal movement. Drop the car back onto its wheels and do the same thing again. The wheel when loaded, in theory, should only move the front wheels, and have minimal free play. If it has then you have a problem that you should have attended to by someone who knows what they're doing. As ACE correctly warned, if its worn it dangerous and no amount of grease will fix it!!

And don't be fooled into thinking that the adjustment screw on top of the steering box cover will take out freeplay. FWIK its designed to set the pre-load on the steering box ONLY.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:11:47 AM by craiga » Logged
bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 06:31:52 AM »

cool thanks a lot, so much more information than the repair manual that ive got. will tell you how it goes.

cheers

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:48:11 AM »

As a VERY general rule the adjusting bolt on the top of the steering box should have more than 3 or 4 threads still protruding from the nut.  If there are less than 3 threads showing, then the box is considerably worn and the worm/rollers need replacing.  Rare Spares have these available.
Nothing can be done to fix a steering box which is worn internally apart from parts replacement.

Ken
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 11:48:03 AM »

Craig & Ken - thanks from me, too.  I also have lots of play at the steering wheel end, so box adjustment/repairs is indicated.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 11:58:35 AM »

This begs the question, are the steering boxes easily rebuilt? or is that the reason people go for the R&P conversions?

craiga
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 06:34:28 PM »

Martin,

Be careful because the movement at the wheel could also be caused by a worn pitman arm, worn or mal-adjusted drag link, or worn tie rod ends. Have someone rock the wheel back and forth while you lie under the car and watch. It will be pretty easy to see where the play is. The steering boxes do wear but check the rest first because its mcuh easier and cheaper to replace.

Cheers,

Craig.
2door350

Model: FE

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 12:15:16 AM »

I have found that once you start tightening the steering box it wears much quicker...best only done when you really have too....
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 01:48:12 AM »

you used to be able to get the bearing balls and do your self but its a finicky and time consuming job and really is one of those things you should leave to a pro,.

bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 03:12:25 AM »

can i ask what a R&P conversion is?

craiga
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 03:24:15 AM »

Mr Hawke,

Rack and Pinion, as fitted to LC/LJ/LH Torana and Commodore.

Conversions are available from Rods Racks - http://www.rodsracks.com.au

Cheers,

Craig.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:29:22 AM by craiga » Logged
bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 06:58:05 AM »

cheers thanks so much,

ive looked through the workshop manual but you guys explain it better, haha. should write a book yourselves.

thanks again

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 07:29:32 AM »

never use an LC Torana rack as they are week and prone to failure,Rod Hadfield stopped using them after a couple of people like my mate had nasty crashes,after they let go .in my mates case sending his FX end over end when front dug into ground on dirt road .

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 12:05:53 PM »

Point taken, Craig.

Thanks

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 09:25:07 PM »

Interesting story Nicko, I have never heard of LC racks failing before and I have driven (hard) the small torries for years without any failures.

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 04:14:50 AM »

Rod only used LC racks in first year which you can verify,i have also had a couple of LC GTR's which i drove hard too,maybe it had something to do with the weight of car also,(i dont remember anymore),it was over 20 years ago now.
cheers Nick

bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 04:54:48 AM »

ive looked around and found a recod steering box/column that suits EH auto in rarespares in newcastle.  they quote nearly 500 bucks for it. think i will just rather find the faulty part, hopefully save a bit of cash in the process.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: