FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:42:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR front end  (Read 8560 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »

Hi, sorry you may have got the wrong idea, I though it was a question not a warning statement, but better that people err on the side of caution with the little info or context i had about the repair. I have seen all sorts of dodgy things in my time, often people will reuse things and put locktite in a thread that is damaged etc (rather than using it for its proper purpose) or will have 4 studs/bolts holding something on instead of 5 and they drive around like that. So essentially we are in agreement that the problem is using parts not suitable for service anymore. So that's a great message to send out to fellow enthusiasts of these vehicles. I am not as familiar with hr fronts as you probably are and I have only ever seen the Allen key screws or proper recessed bolts in such componentry.  I did indicate that I was not sure of the what you meant by those screws with the  Huh symbol. I wonder what the manual says about whether to replace those bits? I know it definitely says in there for the FC front end associated hub/wheel bolts to inspect for service etc.

I would highly recommend people have a look at their car manuals and try not to rush jobs (not to say that anyone is but this can lead to errors) when they are working on critical areas. Better still, its good to have a read, then have a think and forward plan as to what problems may arise when modifying your vehicle. Even not torquing up wheels properly, in combination with the disk thickness being too thin, can cause more mechanical advantage and strain to be placed on components not designed for certain thrusts, especially fault or incorrectly adjusted wheel bearings. People also need to ensure that they "read between the lines", like look at the finer details in their manuals about cleaning and surface preparation. The following article is also very good for generic rules around these components.

http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Catalogue_ACDelco_Rotors.pdf

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: