FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:16:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wich crane hi-6 for VH commodore dizzy  (Read 4593 times)
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:15:26 AM »

I am looking at using the crane cams fireball hi6 with the timing retard control with my electronic distributor from a vh commodore.
I looked at some in American Autos and they said the 6000-6400 was the one to use with the hei dizzy. i have noticed that on ebay they usually say the 6000-6440 is suitable for hei distributors.
The cheapest way to get one it seems will be to buy from the states of ebay but I want to be sure I am getting the rite one.
Ive noticed the crane hi 6 is becoming very popular at the drags and was wondering if any one has one on their holden 6 and what part number they got.
the usual reason for selling seems to be becuase they purchased the wrong system for their car.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:06:53 AM »

Leon,

Dad has the low-end model (used to be called the XR-700) in his 179 powered FC, and has been really happy with the easy start and extra power it's had since fitted.

Charlie Boozer recently fitted the multi-spark 6000-0230 (from memory) to his grey-powered wagon.  He's reasonably happy with it, but he hasn't seen the improvement he saw in the EK (202) when he put a Commodore setup on it.  This could be due to the older coil, a less-than-perfect dissy, the lower power in the grey to begin with, or some other factor.

The 770 retails for about $160 at RS, the 6000-0230 for $260.  The lower spec one is not for use with HEI coils and requires a ballast resistor.  IIRC the higher spec version can run with either style coil, with/without ballast resistor, and the multi-spark feature really comes into its own with blended fuels (ie additives).

It would be interesting to compare all three alternatives on the same car, to really come to grips with the pros and cons of each.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 07:35:51 AM »

This topic sounds interesting - although I don't fully understand the ins and outs of it.

Leon or RET - if one of you has the time would you mind explaining all this more in depth.

Cheers
Dave
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 08:59:43 AM »

this set up gives up to 12 big sparks to make sure the mixture is well and trully getting burnt, some allow you to adjust the timing from inside your car.
Some can be used in electronic ignition coversions so you can give your old grey dizzy more zap and give you a rev limit of upto 14000 rpm if you did something to the grey motor to get that sort of rpm.
benefits are higher rpm becomes not limited by the dizzy, detonation can be reduced, fuel economy may improve and power may increase.
the HI 6 set up is a box that looks like a car audio amplifier but smaller and narrower,It is mounted in your car somewere like the inside of the firewall and it wires up to your dizzy and allows you to run higher powered coils like the ps92 from crane.
The hi 6 is a common ignition in just about all motorsport.
while a commodore dizzy works well on its own this gives it bigger nuts and more brains.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 04:56:05 AM »

while a commodore dizzy works well on its own this gives it bigger nuts and more brains.

... and who'd say no to that, eh?  Grin

Seriously though, check this page out.  If you hunt around you'll find the fitting instructions which have lots of detail in a PDF there as well.

cheers
RET

PS - the one I referred to as a "6000-0230" in my previous post is actually the "3000-0231".  I haven't lost my mind, I've got it backed up on tape around here somewhere... Roll Eyes

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: