FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:51:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Who has an alarm/ in there pride and joy  (Read 9046 times)
GMB-58FC

Model: FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:06:13 AM »

So i was just wondering who out there have an alarm/immobiliser in your pride and joy and if so what male/model?

The first thing i ever do when i get another/new car is put an alarm/immobilser in it but its really got me thinking with the FC with how i go about it and what to do Huh

Just want to hear from those of you that have already gone through the process and did you do C/L as well or not worry about the extra fuss?

Cheers Ben

PS sorry if this isn't in the correct section.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:07:36 AM by grandmasterb » Logged

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »

It's not in the wrong section now  Grin

I haven't fitted one to my car, but having seen how they are wired in my old van I can't why you couldn't fit one.
The hard part would be where to hide it as there isn't really any closed up areas under the dash.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »

alarms...

I reckon a thief would need to be desperate to steal an FE or FC.

besides... sooner or later the parts would catch the attention of the clubs.

i have left and made provisions for an alarm however by adding sensors to rear doors and tailgate, remote relay which activates central locking, needing only the alarm module to be fitted..  the best place to hide one would probably by under the rear seat and use black wiring.

i used torana door jamb light switches as extra door sensors.. cheap and effective.

also handy for the courtesy light.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »

;)Why not put in a "kill switch"Huh? Cheers Hotlips

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
craiga
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:27:59 PM »

In my opinion kill switches (that either short or break power to the points) are pretty much useless in any early Holden.

Its so easy to get the bonnet open and bypass the kill switch function so it really is a waste of time - unless of course you make it harder to get the bonnet open. This combination will at least slow them down, and stop the joyrider element. Lack of a steering lock is also a problem, generally they are really not an easy car to secure.

One of my personal favourites is the solenoid system whereby you turn a keyed lock and the brakes lock on. Try and get that to move!!!

Ed's right though, there's just not the focus on stealing early Holden's that there once was.

Good luck with your car.

Cheers,

Craig.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:38:53 AM »

I agree with a lot of the earlier comments - these cars don't get knocked off anywhere near as much as years gone by, simply because they not being left where they can be. A very small proportion get used as daily transport nowadays, where they're most at risk.

Immobilisers and alarms are very straightforward to fit, of course.  Just remember that the rear doors never had the switches for the interior light, so if the immobiliser uses that circuit, you need to wire them up.

I like the sound of the solenoid system though - is that a legal line-locker? Grin

There was an original steering column lock accessory, and NOS ones do still turn up from time to time.  They're not easily removed from old steering columns because of the shear bolts used to secure them.  Unlike modern steering column locks, these locked the gear-stick in place, not the steering wheel.  And of course there is the much more common sleeve lock, which is quite effective at securing the shifter to the steering wheel, and can only be bypassed with either a hacksaw or by removing/replacing the steering wheel.

I've got a friend who used to leave the steering wheel retaining nut only finger-tight, so he could have the wheel off in about 15 seconds and either put it in the boot or take it with him! He may have been related to Mr Bean...

There also used to be a very cool accessory called "The Joker", that was a key-actuated carby lock. Like kill-switches, sleeve-locks and club-locks, not impossible to by-pass, but enough to frustrate the casual joy-rider.

But like anything else, if someone wants it bad enough, there's very little you can really do.

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:43:40 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »

hey guys as the other fellas said if one of our cars was stolen im sure we would all put up a post on here and sooner or later someone would see a part and go hey i knew the car that was in etc etc start a chain reaction

also i found an effective way battery isolator in the boot! as you need a key to get in where battery is located makes it a great and effective way and with running a full length wire for cd player etc etc they dont loose settings but starter wont go just a thought guys

also how bout running a two kill switches? one for the positive side of the coil one for the negative ground on the distributor you know with electric dissys have two wires as sutch not a fool proof way but its a way to slow them down?
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 07:05:02 AM »

Another way is to run a wire from the H/T lead on the coil around to the front seat. Strip about a foot of the end of the wire and splay it out on the seat.
I once did this for a kiwi mate of mine who said it was easy to steal old holdens . I gave him the key and told him to steal it.
After a few seconds of him jumping around he ended up balancing on the top of the bench seat like a cat and screaming at me to turn off the f*n car Grin Grin.
That was about fifteen years ago and I still get a laugh at it. Grin.
    Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 07:44:13 AM »

After a few seconds of him jumping around he ended up balancing on the top of the bench seat like a cat and screaming at me to turn off the f*n car

I think I wet myself...
I am going to run a kill switch in mine (as i'm going to say where) but at one stage I considered not even installing the locks as the car would only be parked in my garage or at a spot where I'd be in punching distance. Locks are going back in anyway

Nes

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24:55 AM »

you could have left out the passenger door lock, its probably too late now, having a wagon i have left the lock in the tailgate and got rid of the door locks.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »

I reckon a thief would need to be desperate to steal an FE or FC.

besides... sooner or later the parts would catch the attention of the clubs.

You would think so, but i'm still looking and waiting for my car or an identifiable part to show up.

Brad.....too funny!!

I think Joe and his J-lock is the go. This device clamps the clutch and brake pedal together whilst at the same time preventing the pedals from being depressed.

Regards
Alex

Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »

Just a thought.... how about a fuel solenoid in the fuel line junction under the floor at the B Pillar? This is not obvious and would let the car start but it would stop when the fuel in the carby runs out.... Simple hidden switch could be used to activate/de-activate.

Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 07:47:41 AM »

There is a period version of this, but roll up your sleeve.
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=nasco;action=display;num=1151153848
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »

I was pretty impressed with this little number Wink

Mike
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 08:21:29 AM »

Well i have had a think about it and im going to install the alarm/immobiliser but not worry about the c/l now.

Alarm will protect all four doors bonnet and boot, immobilser will be for coils (have something else planned for that side of things as well Grin ) starter motor, fuel & battery...

Wont go into too much detail about that though as you never know who reads the forums these days :-/

Shouldn't be too hard to hide everything and make it look original as if its not there and i have thought of the perfect location for it all.

Along with that i will add on a BGA and ultrasonics for the 1/4 vents.

Will take some pics of the install as i go and let you know once its complete  Wink

Cheers GMB

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 07:14:16 AM »

you could just remove the rotor button every time you went.... not too many thieves carry those round

GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »

you could just remove the rotor button every time you went.... not too many thieves carry those round

A little too obvious IMHO doing that, if someone see's you do that a couple of time no doubt they would come prepared Wink

I dont want to take too many options as this car will be seeing the road pretty much everyday...

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: