FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:00:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seat belt regs  (Read 10539 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »

DJ,

You have mail  Grin.

My understanding (at least of NSW) is:
a) if you are undertaking modifications that require an engineers certificate, then seat belts must be installed for all seating positions. Lap/sash seat belts are required for all front and rear outboard seating positions. Lap/sash or lap belts shall be fitted to inboard seating positions. The level of safety provided by seat belts must not be reduced. Seat belts must not be replaced by belts of a lesser standard or with second-hand belts. For example, lap only belts must not be used in place of retracting lap/sash seat belts. The use of a retractable seat belt disabling device is not acceptable.This is based on the NSW RTA Vehicle Standards Information Sheets No 6. for light vehicle modifications.
b) if you do not require an engineers certificate, then you do not need to fit seatbelts. However, if you are carrying kiddies, the following apply:
Children younger than six months must be secured in a rearward facing restraint.
Children aged six months to under four years must be secured in either a rear or forward facing restraint.
Children aged four years to under seven years must be secured in forward facing child restraint or booster seat.
Children younger than four years cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows.
Children aged four years to under seven years cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows, unless all other back seats are occupied by children younger than seven years in a child restraint or booster seat.
I understand that the above child restraint laws are retrospective (i.e. that they are not "grandfathered" just because the FB/EK came out with no belts orginally). You would need to fit belts to meet the above.
d) if you are installing belts not for engineering certificates or for child restraint (but more for peace of mind) then you can choose which positions get belts and which don't.
c) Any installed seatbelts (even the peace of mind ones) must be approved by an RTA Authorised Restraint Fitting Station (at least in NSW) (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=authrestraintfitting.form). This is not an engineers certificate, just an inspection and basic form to sign off and fairly cheap (>$100). Most fitting Stations will not let you do the work yourself (to a decent standard) and then inspect and certify it - most will only certify if they do the work themselves (in the end it's their signature on the line). It pays to check with the one you have in mind before you fire up the drill and spanners to DIY.
d) Some Fitting Stations require full compliance to ADR5 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009C00157/Html/Text#_Toc1235628295870) when you install - there are some tricky bits in ADR/5 about how far apart the belts can be. Again, check with the Fitting Station you have in mind before flashing up the tools. ADR/5 has the same requirements as NCOP... same as the simplified info I just sent DJ.

Cheers,
Harv
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 12:00:28 PM »

Thank you.

Dave
0417 270 315
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 04:11:14 PM »

I used Hemco seat belts when I restored my car. I like the look of them.  Pricing was very reasonable.  You can see the appearance of them in Members Cars on page 3, I think.
They had to be certified by a local seat belt fitter before I could obtain registration.  It all came as part of my RWC.  Rather than fitting the blue compliance to the firewall I was able to talk him into fitting it under the rubber mat in the boot.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »

Thanks Keith.
I called the local ACT registry this afternoon & they immediately directed me to their web site saying I needed to engage an engineer.
Called one of the three nominated on their site and he wants to have a look a the car before considering if I can fit them or if someone certified must. I expect he'll say I can fit them & he can sign the job off.
I managed to make contact with Seatbelt Solutions in WA & they will send some webbing colour samples & email photos of their range of buckles. Ran out of time to make contact with Hemco or Repco today.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: