FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:44:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Willys Ute 1938 made by Holden  (Read 7058 times)
deno

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:04:30 AM »

Does anyone know of a Willys 1938 Ute made by Holden and holds a Holden emblem, it is currently on Ebay and I am seek more information.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBaylSAPl.dll?ViewItem&item=4645230100&sspagename=Adme:l:RTQ:AU:1

Cheers
Deno
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12:14 AM »

Hey Deno.
Holden made bodies for Willys from 1927 through 1943.
The coupe ute was a Holden body, but only made for 3 years 1938-1940. Not many made, and naturally even less would still be around. Production #'s were:
Regards
Alex

deno

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:37:48 AM »

Hi Alex

Thankyou very much, appreciate it.

I liked the shape, thought it would make a good V8 conversion. The price it is sitting at the moment of $8,600 is considered reasonable, but the " buy now"  price is $14,000.

Do you believe that due its rarity, that a V8 conversion will reduce its value, ie standard versus modified?.

Cheers
Deno
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:49:54 AM by deno » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:58:33 PM »

Do you believe that due its rarity, that a V8 conversion will reduce its value, ie standard versus modified?.

Without a shadow of a doubt.  Very few cars are worth more modified than original (meaning authentic), particularly something this old and rare.

I see it hasn't met reserve yet, either.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 03:41:41 AM »

Hi Alex

yep.. I reckon that'd be the case.. lol but also what makes it cool.

although it depends if you buy to enjoy or invest.

I keep getting told my car is "over capitalised".... accountants ruin all the fun huh.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 05:07:28 AM »

Having re-read my previous post... If I came across sounding like an authenticity nazi then that wasn't intended.  I'm a strong believer in "it's your car: do with it whatever makes you happy".  Like Ed said, are you doing it for yourself or as an investment?  I don't think you can get rich restoring or modifying cars, but generally speaking you won't go as far out the back door with a resto. :-/

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »

If you bought a stock car for $8k and spent $12k on a V8 update, would it be worth more........I think so. It probably would not be worth $20k, but it would still be worth more than the intial $8k. IMHO.
I think that modified cars are rarely worth the money you put in, but as long as the mods are done right, the value will increase some.
I hope this makes sense.
So were you thinking of dropping in a blown big block and installing a straight axle front end?
Regards
Alex

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »

With old holdens they seem tobe around the same modified or standard unless it has had a fortune spent on modyfying it. with older cars I have noticed modified seems to put the price way up, guess more people want a hot rod than a putter.
A mate of mine had a willys pick up that he put a blown hemi in with halibrand 12 spoke spindle mounts on the front, he frequently buys old cars, does stuff like this to them and sells them for alot more, last time I stayed at his place up in Tamworth he was in the middle of turning a willys sedan into a 2 door, he did most of one side in a morning that i slept in, the car came of a farm and was finnished in surface rust, still sitting on wire wheels with the origional diff and another blown hemi sitting in the engine bay.
I doubt it could drop the value unless you were doing something like putting a 308 in a bugatti.
ebay and unique cars would give a good idea of modified vs stock prices of old cars.
To me the final value means nothing unless you are going to make a insurance claim, If I am going to spend money on it, its becuase i am taking it to the grave.
Unless you are real good, well set up and know everyone and everything its pretty hard to do a car up till the end and get most of the money back, I guess if your modified car has had a fortune spent on the best go fast bits it could be a bigger loss with a modified car.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:15:36 AM by fccool59 » Logged

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 07:28:45 AM »

I think the Willys would go up in value modified but not a huge amount.  A V8 powered sedan set up with straight axle as per a retro drag racer would be very profitable, but you're not going to get the same effect from a ute.
Fords are always better value than say an Essex or a Terraplane.
Seems Ford 28 to 40 hotrods are going over $50000 now for just about anything decent, whereas a stocker would only pull half the amount.

Ken
deno

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 07:57:09 AM »

Thankyou everyone for your helpful information.
However, I contacted the owner earlier this afternoon to negotiate a lower "buy now" price but I was too late, someone from Tassie beat me to it, he bought it for $12,000 and removed it from Ebay. Cry

Cheers
Deno
rat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 08:23:35 AM »

that car hot rodded would bring alot more money in the hot rod scene as a willys is the ultimate hot rod just look at what they bring in the us and even more if you put a 41` front on it
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 09:57:50 AM »

dont you hate that Deno. Would have been a top car for the nostalgia drags if done period.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
deno

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:32:06 AM »

Thanks RAT, the Willys 41 front was exactly what I was going to do.

FC COOL 59 - I guess thems the brakes.

Thanks everyone for the info, back to Ebay for me

Cheers
Deno
Graeme

one of thses days my wagon will be finished.....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 08:58:50 AM »

Ed wrote:
"I keep getting told my car is "over capitalised".... accountants ruin all the fun huh. "

I am an accountant with an fc wagon much modified (well it will be when it is finished) as my daily driver.....

waddya mean we ruin all the fun............ Wink Smiley Wink

Graeme
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:00:35 AM by gjs » Logged
rat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:13:58 AM »

deno i am building a 41 coupe now runs a blown 460 big block and it tubbed hope to  have it finished buy the end of the year Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: