FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: problem question  (Read 3268 times)
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2004, 08:24:08 AM »

202 motor,battery seems ok, that is, it  fires up after sitting for a few weeks, however, on the weekend, after a 60 kilometer trip, starter motor would not engage, ignition light on, then turned to start, but no starter motor, quick push and away I went, rest of the trip when I stopped, everthing started ok... Done this once before, and started ok after about 30 minutes. Could it be the coil to hot ? or condensor ?....can the battery overcharge ?....Battery is in the boot.

cheers yackboy

Phil
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 09:01:21 AM »

Yackboy
           It could be your starter motor is getting to hot (normally only old starter motor does it). Are you running standard exhuats, header's or what set up do you have. This problem is more commonly found with ford's but have had it happen on Holden's before. If this is the problem just make up a heat shield that goes between the starter and the offending exhuast pipe. This only has to be thin metal 0.5 to 1mm as it's design is to disapate the heat not hold the heat in that area. If you know anyone with a XD Ford have a look at the heat shield on their starter motor and you will see what I am suggesting.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Tumbles
wa-club

ute's kick ass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:53:07 AM »

Another thing to look at is there may not be getting enough volts to starter coil.  Put a relay in to make sure voltage drop isn't your problem. Grin
Tumbles..

SUPREME RULER AND DICTATOR-FOR-LIFE
It all starts with a second term in power!!
yackboy49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 05:32:19 AM »

Thx for the info Tumbles & Sarge,

running headers,

what would cause the voltage to drop at the starter ? would it be the distance from the boot ?

thxs again

Yackboy

Phil
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 07:43:55 AM »

Yackboy
             The greater the distance from the starter to the battier, the more voltage drop you will have. You could try increasing the cable size.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Tumbles
wa-club

ute's kick ass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 01:01:28 AM »

Voltage drop from the wire from the ign switch to the back of the starter motor coil can happen for different reasons, if you have good volts to the back of the starter motor (main supply) you can tee off it to a relay and use the starter wire to operate the relay and run a wire back to the start soleniod. But remember this will only work if you have a good supply to the back of starter...
Tumbles Grin

SUPREME RULER AND DICTATOR-FOR-LIFE
It all starts with a second term in power!!
yackboy49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 05:39:52 AM »

thxs Tumbles, I have a faint suspicion my problem  is heat related, when I look back at when it has happened, it was when the car was driven hard or worked hard in the heat.
cheers yackboy

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: