FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:41:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: using oil  (Read 2824 times)
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »

I have just reconditioned my 202 and it using lots of oil, not leaking out, where do I begin to look ? it appears to be breathing heavy.

regards yackboy49

Phil
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »

Yackboy, where to start Huh

Until the rings bed in up to a litre per 5,000kms is acceptable. Use this as a rough guide. That being said any more than that there is still the chance that the rings will take up, but more than likely there is a fault that has presented itself.

There are a number of questoins that need to be asked.

Given that the engine is "breathing heavy" I think you mean that the engine has blowby or is fumey. were the rings checked in the bore to ensure that the correct end gap was present, were the pistons checked in the bore to ensure that the piston/bore gap was correct. Was the bore checked for out of round, and to ensure that there was no taper present.

When the engine was assembled were any pistons difficult to get in, that required extra force. If so then some of the rings may have been broken when the engine was assembled.

When the oil rings were installed did you ensure that the ends butted together on the middle spacer ring and that that the upper and lower scraper ring end gaps were opposed.

When the two compresssion rings were installed did you ensure that the rings were not lined up and were opposed.

Other things that can cause oil usage is the cylinder head valve stem seals or the valves loose in the guides. This will not however cause blowby.

Essentially if you can answer that the above has been checked when the enginewas assembled, then there is a chance that it can take up.

HTH

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Hobbo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 05:29:24 PM »

I agree with the above advice, if you didn't have a "good" ring compressor it is very easy to break a compression ring,
if the blow by is puffing out its probably only one ring broken and if you check the spark plugs carefully you will see that the problem cylinder/s will be blacker with carbon than the others. Other than that some people mistakenly put the pistons in back to front, notch on the piston should face to the front of the car. Good Luck.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »

I would do a leak down test. first and from the results go from there  ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
yackboy49

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »

to everyone who replied, thanks for the info, looks like I have some investigation to do.

yboy

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: