FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: STUBTECH DROPPED SPNDLES  (Read 15996 times)
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »

Well installed them last night
hr front end
hr disc brakes
13 inch wheels stock hr
tyres 185x75

problems rim hits lower wishbone
tyre rubs on outer tierod end
note ek draglink for steering

options open to many and varied sugestions

1 space steering arms of stub 5mm
  get 5mm spacers for between the rim and the hub

regards fatboy

ps springs are 19mm thick and are lowered 40 mm

fatboy
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

you'll have to check but i think LC/LJ and LH/LX/UC rotors go straight on where the HR discs came off, this will space yor wheels out without useing spacers
only drama may be then tyre to guard clearance but you'll have that drama with spacers anyway
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »

LC/J discs bring the wheels in too far, LH/X are supposed to do the job better.
On my CRS drop stubs I currently have LC brakes and rotors, brings the wheels in so much I had to fit 1" spacers to the steering arms (HR I think) which stuffs the turning circle, even then the 185/75 14 front tyres catch the lip of guard easily.
On Ken's advice I am going to LH/X brakes so I can get rid of the spacers, then I'll look at a lower profile tyre.
13"x6 mags were a problem on the drop stubs had to use a few mm of washers to get them to fit so I could roll the car around, never tried a 13" stockie though.

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »

had an EK once (funnilly enough) had front end mounts modified (dropped) prolly 3" lower springs then the stubs lets just say VERY low, had stock HT wheels with 1/4" spacers 165x65 tyres barely missed tie rod ends and had to cut the inner lip off the guards and they still scraped
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »

Im just pissed of that stubtech havent bothered to reply to two of my messages that i have left on there phone.My rims are 13x 4.5 cant see why i should be having a problem is they had engineered them propaly in the first place
regards fatboy

fatboy
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »

Hi Fatboy as you know wheel spacers are a NO NO you can space the steering arms back a few millimeters but beware to much will alter the Ackerman angle....might have to move the centers in the wheels  Huh Huh......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »

rims are just standard hr trailer rims you buy at the trailer joints

fatboy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:34:09 PM »

Try some stock FC rims, they have a different offset to HR and may clear without having to change brakes.

Ken
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 08:14:14 AM »

My fc rims that i have at home have a 90 mm back set im pretty shore the rims on the ute are 90mm as well.Are there different size back sets
regards fatboy

fatboy
Fat_Charlie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »

I have CRS drop spindles ,had a world of trouble getting clearance on everything,didnt like the idear of spacers or changing the steering setup,I ended up having the rims dished to suit ,all good  Grin
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »

can't believe  the money they are and they're not a bolt on ordeal without hitches.
hope  someone can help ya,otherwise neales wheels in sydney do offsets but i got bad stories about them from dealing with em years ago .'rang em recently cause they're the only one's doing it and wasn't real happy with em but. ( thinking of makin a jig and doing it myself)

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »

Waynos, As you've probably learned by now, very few things are a bolt on deal without some form of adjustment, modification or compromise.
The dropped stub axles bolt up to the ball joints OK, and the stock HR steering arms can be used without spacers but wheel choice is limited because of clearance issues.
I have UC Torana rotors and calipers and stock FC wheels with no clearance issues or guard problems, BUT here is what I have modified;
1) The calipers need a little more room than the stock HR units so metal must be removed from the suspension tower so that on full lock the caliper clears the suspension tower.
2) The caliper also fouls on the upper wishbone at full lock so metal was removed here as well.
3) I rolled the front guard arch lips to provide a little extra clearance also on full lock under a heavy bump (most noticeable reversing out of a driveway)
All of these could have been reduced somewhat if I had moved the steering lock stop to increase the turning circle.

Wide 13 inch rims will foul on the steering arm or guard lip depending on which way the offset has been added
13 inch mags (such as Dragways) tend to have the offset outwards meaning that they will fit OK but foul on the guards.
HK wheels are no good.  HT HG wheels should also fit this set up OK
HQ rims are deep dish so will also fit OK (using HQ stud pattern) but foul on guards
HQ front runners are great - no problems
Commodore rims are dished inwards and foul steering arms and upper ball joint grease nipple. OK if you use 16 inch minimum because the rim is outside the steering arm and the grease nipple.

So you can see why either bent steering arms or spacers behind the steering arms are used to provide extra clearance in this area and wheels with modified offset are used to centralise them between the steering arm and the mudguard.

Any other comments or corrections to this are most welcome.

Ken
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 08:13:51 PM »

yes i have most definately learned by now,considering i started with someone elses problems (unfinished project )who gave up cause they couldn't work it all out
but i thought a stock hr rim should fit easily as they are hr dropped spindles

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 08:42:29 PM »

they sell them as HR dropped spindles but are actually HK - WB as if they are the same as crs they are based on HQ which are close to a 1" drop for HR so this makes the drop stubs a close to 3 1/2" on HR not 2 1/2"
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »

so a ht rim should fit without probs?

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »

never done it but i think so, i know HK rims need a spacer
Pages: [1]   Go Up