FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:36:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: i know it isn't an fc, but.....  (Read 16865 times)
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2002, 04:34:16 PM »

i know this isn't an fc, but it was alomost a holden. has everyone seen the EF?

(sorry about the fold!)

this was to be the next model after the eh before detroit took over the styling to produce the HD. it was also when the naming code was dropped from the model names. the code worked as below:

the HD was named after the american managing director of GMH at the time, Hegland, David. they decided to go with random letters after that. so it says in my magazine thingy anyway!

simon
2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 07:20:26 AM »

Hey there gree,ive got this photo some where and im glad they didn't go ahead in making this model.
Looks like a car that was designed in the USSR

Regards 2brite
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 10:21:43 AM »

It looks  like a Zephyr  Shocked   Very ugly car indeed.

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
HARKO
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 01:15:47 PM »

;DOh Yeah thats better  , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nah still dont like it.
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 07:54:09 AM »

SEX is such a powerful tool, I dont mind it as much now. Grin

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 09:14:48 AM »

We all think it's ugly, but let's face it, the HD is hardly an object of high art either, is it?  If they had built this thing instead of the HD, we'd all be quite used to it's lines, and think nothing of it.

And EF clubs are only slightly rarer than HD-HR ones.....  Grin

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 11:50:24 AM »

Gree - I think the code has the "A" next to the "B" and the "0" after the "9" - it makes more sense this way. The code gives the year the protoype was built.

Ken
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2002, 12:20:25 PM »

hey ken,

you'd know better than me, i scanned it out of a book!  Grin

simon
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »

Hi Gree.
I think your Magazine may be wrong about what HD stands for. Looking at that car, I reckon it means "Hurriedly Designed"!!!!
URGHHHH!

Rob

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2003, 11:31:10 AM »

I always thought  HD stood for " Highly Dangerous" and  the new HR was a "Hurried Recovery"  Grin

Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2003, 12:06:04 PM »

Hey why are you guys pickin' on the HD / HR's for.
Let me change the subject....AU Falcon.
Regards
Alex

normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2003, 01:09:05 PM »

HEY ALEX

AS  A  FORD  DRIVER ..........................

..> (small print)>>>  I have to agree  Embarrassed

Norm

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2003, 12:57:22 AM »

Grin Grin Hi there, I personally think that if those early photos of the HD were actually produced into cars it would have been a Huge Disaster.  Anyway all Holdens look good to me (FE/FC's are superior though) and I do have a passion for HK monaro's, preferably the Bathurst model.  Nevermind one day I might get to own one.  But on the subject of Holdens I am very disappointed (and I am putting this so politely!!!) with the VY model.  I am sure an enemy of Holden's (probably a FORD lover) infiltrated the designer's drawing board and purposely made the car look like a piece of sh.. Lips sealed.. shonky work.  The VX was sooo much better - so let's hope they clear out their staff and get a better looking model next time!!!  Cheers HOTLIPS  Wink

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2003, 02:03:28 AM »

Kathy,

I disagree with you on both fronts  Kiss

It's very easy to say with the benefit of hindsight that this car was a crock and no-one would buy such an ugly thing.  Where the EH was all straight lines and hard angles, this car softens some of these, whilst retaining some of the EH shape (esp. the bumpers and the C pillar area).  Now the EH deserves to be a classic, and the HD is widely derided for its poor handling and styling, so who's to say that if this car had seen production that it would have been worse than the one that did?  The real HD was a sales disaster, but it's a shape we all recognise as a Holden.  As I said earlier in a previous post, if the HD never existed and the EF was built, we'd all be just as used to it and think nothing of its shape.  It's just the unfamiliarity with it that makes it 'not a Holden'.

I'm sure in 1960 people said "It just looks like a three year old Chevy!  Honey they shrunk the '57!"  But the FB still sold well, and is remembered fondly.

And as far as the VY is concerned, I've heard a few people say this, and I don't understand it.  I own a VT, and I did like the VX facelift.  I also like the VY.  I can see similarities to Camry headlights and Magna taillights that people talk about, but so what?  The whole package is still unmistakably a Commodore.  What is it you don't like about it?

Just my 2c worth  Grin

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2003, 02:40:43 AM »

Hi Richard,  I don't know whether I gave the wrong impression Embarrassed but I like the HD the way it came out (& the HR).  I just didn't like the prototype models (they do look like a cross between a Zodiac / Vauxhall) Huh.  I also agree that if they did come out that way, we would have got used to them, but like all great designs until the "right" one appeals to the designers, the prototypes are sent back to the drawing board.  
Greg and I also own a VT wagon and think it is great.  We both thought the VX was fantastic too but I am disappointed with the grill and the back end - yes it does look like a Magna Tongue  but I doooo luvvvv the new Monaro as well  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin.  Cheers HOTLIPS

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2003, 03:40:44 AM »

...but I like the HD the way it came out

So, there's Ray Warren (FE-HR ACT) and you as well?!  You guys should start a club Wink

but I doooo luvvvv the new Monaro as well  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin.

Me too - I'm just waiting for the mid-life crisis to kick in so I have an excuse to indulge myself Cool.  There's a purple one coming out late this month, my wife's favourite colour.......  Kiss

RET

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2003, 04:03:07 AM »

Hi all.
I wasn't too sure about the new Commodore either when it first appeared Huh, but now I love it Grin. My work is planning on getting me a new car, & have asked what I wanted. I put the Monaro first Grin, & Green SS ute second Cheesy & an SS sedan third Smiley.
That was a month ago. Everytime he sees me, he smiles & shakes his head. I have a sneaking suspicion I will get a bloody Hyundai, but, it was worth a try. :-/

All mid bodied Holdens are cool (FE FC are the COOLEST!!), but as for the public accepting that EF prototype, I reckon it would have been as popular as the Brabham Torana Shocked

Rob

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2003, 04:51:08 AM »

Brabham Torana - ah yes, the Starfire Commodore of its day.  Both the Brabham and Torana names are diminished by that dreadful car.

But if you want to talk about bad Holdens, you really can't go past the Piazza for bone-ugliness Tongue and all-round ordinariness Sad, although the Camira (JB?) that had a catalytic converter and ran on Super would have to be up there.

cheers
RET

craiga
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2003, 05:39:48 AM »

Be careful what you say about the Brabham Torana. If someone out there loves HD's then I'm allowed to like this pinnacle of Australian motoring history.

This powerhouse is one of my personal favourites, along with the Leyland Marina Embarrassed

Cheers,

Craig
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2003, 11:26:32 AM »

While we're talking about prototypes, what about the FE prototypes?
They all look weird and ugly now - but as Rich says.  If that is what had been built we'd all be driving them now and loving them.

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: