FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:49:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: just bought FE sedan  (Read 2191 times)
susan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2002, 03:13:41 AM »

Scott and I have just bought our FE special sedan and are interested in any helpfull info anyone may have for us. We are new to this model.  Did this model all come with leather interior or has someone previously altered it and how could i tell if the motor is the original one? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks  
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2002, 08:24:03 PM »

Hi there Susan, happy to help if I can.  Good on you for buying an FE.

OK.  No special sedans came with leather trim, so that's an alteration that a previous owner has done.  As far as the engine is concerned, it should be a 'grey' motor, so named for its original colour.  The grey differs from later Holden motors in a few ways, so you should be able to tell it from a 'red', 'blue' or 'black' motor even if the paint colour on the motor isn't original.

Grey motors have only one 'sideplate', all the others have two.  Greys also have the distributor mounted at the back of the motor, not in the middle as later models do.  There are some other indicators as well, but that should be enough to tell you whether it's a period motor or a later one.

As far as whether it's original equipment for your car (ie the car left the factory with that motor), it should have an engine number that begins with "L" for starters.  If you can post the numbers from the ID plate (on the firewall, passenger's side), the body number (stamped on the inner guard aft of the battery box and usually somewhere near the regulator, on the horizontal section), and the engine number, Guru Ken will be able to tell you the date the car was built and at which factory to within a few days, and whether the motor is likely to be the original one or if it definitely isn't.

Hope all that helps.  If you're not sure what questions to ask, why not bring the car to a meeting of your nearest FE-FC Car Club, and get the experts to look over it and tell you what they can see?  Which state do you live in?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2002, 08:24:07 PM »

Susan
Congratulations on your great taste in motoring classics.To answer your question no fe's didn't come out with leather trim.Re the motor if you post the engine numbers here Im sure one of us can help you.Have you got any of the orriginal paper work,this can be of great assistance in checking for engine numbers.Where are you located and what colour is your car?

Cheers,Graham Smiley
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2002, 08:10:41 AM »

Not bad you two, two posts within 4 seconds of each other  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print