FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 202 motor modifications  (Read 12153 times)
andy's pink EK
« on: June 19, 2004, 11:02:15 PM »

Hello Holden people,

I have an EK Holden (pink sedan with flames.)   It has a Rod Hadfield Chassis kit,  HR disc brake front end,   HT holden Diff centre,  5 speed Celica gearbox,  and most importantly,  a red 202 engine.
I intend to perform a few modifications to the engine in a bid to make it go faster (of course.)   I'm using secondhand bits which have fortuitously come my way,  so I'm seeking some advice as to whether I'm on the right track...
Firstly I have sourced a "Blue Motor" 12 port head and had 15/1000 inch shaved off it.   How much difference is this likely to make to my compression?  I know the Red / Blue 202's ran 9.4:1 with a stock head.
I intend fitting a set of blue motor extractors into the standard exhaust (2").   Is it going to be necessary to change my older style (HQ) muffler for a straight - through kind?
I'm fitting the blue motor inlet manifold and carburettor.  This is a 2 barrel french made carburettor,  does anyone know the brand?  is it suitable for this application?  Can it be re - jetted to suit my mods?   Will blocking off all the anti pollution vacuum attachments adversely affect performance?
I have an engine block number with a QL prefix,  how do I know whether it is a pre - or post - pollution controls motor?   are there significant internal differences,  e.g. cam angles / duration?
I have a VC commodore electronic ignition module fitted,  can this be re - graphed to give more advance than the piddly Blue motor?
I intend to (eventually) fit a mild cam (20 / 60 or thereabouts) can all of this be supported using the standard froggy carby?  if not what would be reccommended, e.g. Holley 350?
Essentially I'm after about 150 - 200 bhp without sacrificing long range fuel economy (the old girl makes regular trips to Perth - 1000 km away) and she has to have lots of low - rev (1500 - 4000 rpm) torque and power.   I'm not interested in high rpms.
Any suggestions or guidance would be most welcome.
Andy
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 09:08:53 PM »

Hi,i dont know the answer to all your questions but one thing i know for sure is the best thing you can do with the french carby is throw it in the bin as the blue motor carbs are notorious for problems and some cant be adjusted as setting are preset and then blocked off,so playing with cams and using these carbs dont mix, there is plenty of good choices around,twin carbs ,holley's , by the way on a red motor the holley 320 is a great carb as the 350 although it works well its just a tad too big for mild engines .and all these carbs have parts readily available.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 09:10:35 PM by nicko » Logged

Jonesy

6ers for Racing & V8s are for towing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:59:47 AM »

Hi Andy

Ive got a 202 board out to a 208 with a 29/69 cam (about a stage 2) the bottom end is balanced and has 10.1 compression. The head is a Y/T Bathurst 6000 head which is a 161 high compression. With this combo is got a VH electronic distributor (re-curved to suit the cam) and as has a 350 Holley on a cain manifold. Going down the line the is 5 speed supra g/box and further on is a salibury 3.55 limited slip diff.
  I have raced it over the 1/8 mile doing 10.5 seconds with a stock head and distributor (not the ones above). With Just a single spinning diff and NO tray on board.
  I have driven it a few times and on a one way trip from Wollongong to Brisbane is about a 1050km trip which cost me around $100. The engines rpm at 100kms/hr is at 2500.

Hope thats sum Help Jonesy

The next Pre pollution red 6 that I build will have a 12 port head to the 9 port, as it flows better.
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 11:54:26 AM »

Hi Andy,

the name for the froggy carb is varijet, and as nicko
says turf it, as a mobile mechanic working for myself
i get alot of calls from commodore owners with cars
not idling or running right and 9/10 times its that carby
causing the problem.

cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
andy's pink EK
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »

Thanks everybody,
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.   It would appear that I can do the mods I'm after and still achieve good fuel economy... thx jonesy.
So the varijet carby is a dud,  oh well,  i'll chuck it and source a Holley 320 as per nicko's suggestion.   Initially though I'm just gonna chuck on the 12 port head,  varijet carb & manifold,  and extractors,  and see what happens.  Shouldn't be too big an issue as the cam is still stock.
Does anyone know whether the cam in the red 202 post 1976 (ADR emissions changes) was different to the pre - pollution cam?  
Jonesy,  how much did it cost to have your dizzy re graphed?  did you have to remove it yourself?
Will a Holley 320 fit the blue motor inlet manifold?
What is the capital of assyria?
Thanks guys you've been a big help.  
Jonesy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 11:26:38 AM »

Hi Andy
I got it re graphed before I put it in and had no problems putting it in. And cost I Think it was about $80.

Cheers Jonesy
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 08:26:47 AM »

Jonesy,

tell me more about re-graphing the electronic distributor please...

I have these on each of my FC's and suffer some pinging under certain loads....

how do they determine what the advance profile needs to be to suit the engine/head/cam/carb setup you might have......?

very interesting...and relatively cheap too, it seems....

cheers.....Brad
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 10:42:21 AM »

Hey Andy.
Interesting question, thanks for posing it. I too have a 202 red and was wondering about doing some mods. I will be going with a WW Stromberg for carby as an alternative to the Holley.
BTW....the capital of Assyria was Nineveh.
Regards
Alex

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 10:48:26 AM »

Andy yes there is adaptors for the blue motor manifold for holley's and a couple of others try Lynx and Redline as they make a good range of adaptors,you will have to do a google search as i dont know where they are,i think there is other brand adaptors also but cant think of any offhand.
reguards Nicko
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 10:50:53 AM by nicko » Logged

Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 11:07:57 AM »

Here comes Spinner from outfield with another suggestion.

Use a Webber taken off a 4.1 litre XE or XF bird.  Buy a Holley Adaptor Plate for one of these cars.  Get a Holley 2bbl intake manifold for your head (9 or 12 port).

Fit Holley adaptor (upside down) onto manifold.  Bolt ex-FoMoCo carby to adaptor.  Cruise.

You will have to have the Carburettor rebuilt/rejetted to suit the Holden Motor.  This inlet combination delivers good fuel economy when driving normally and plenty of power when you put the boot in and open the secondary throat.

Cheers

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Jonesy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 08:22:33 AM »

fcfromscratch
       The mate that re-graphed my electronic dissy just asked me "whats the side of your cam?" and he set it up for me.
But the fuel that I run is Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate, as if I run on normal lead replacement petrol(super) it pings bad under load.

Jonesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: