FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:38:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air conditioning  (Read 38738 times)
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »

You don't have to use the commodore compressor, there are smaller ones that will clear.

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »

Has anyone done air con on a grey? I know Kevin Woollard has. Does anyone know how to fit a second pulley
and a compressor type and bracket that will fit?
Cheers,
Graham
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »

Hey Firekraka I just got onto a hq under dash unit and I am interested to know if they are able to run the new gas through them, would anyone know as I'm unsure.
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 09:39:19 PM »

r426a (rs-24) is the one that was used to replace r12, but there are newer ones and I don't think they know for sure if r426a is also bad. Read the spec sheet. It can harm you in large doses but ac systems don't use much. The problem is the same with paint "systems" with systems meaning multi million $$$ investment. I had been wanting to brush up my skills in this area and I would look into this Frankie, as I'm not sure if using the adopted replacement above is such a good idea if you aren't going to be isolating the components out of the passenger dept. But I don't know who to believe and I have not had much to do with these newer HC (basically gas fuel mixes). A bloke named Dean at the video shop who worked at super cheap has been talking to me about retrofit gas options lately. He has been testing different gases. Weird how he just spoke to me the other day and I was bored shitless wondering why he was so excited. Have a look at this. http://www.airchill.net.au/auto-motive-air-conditioning-gases.html Before you get excited about using propane/hydrocarbons, which is what seems to be the new rage for fridges in some countries, I still think I would prefer to use r426a despite it getting negative press. Whatever you use though, ensure that you read data sheets on operating pressures and evacuating old systems. Be careful of old systems running gases that you cannot verify too and quiz your technician about what pressures you will run with the gas you choose so that the system is safe when retrofitting. But I'm no expert in this cos even the experts don't agree. The thing I do like about HC gas, is it's scented.....apparently.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »

Hi sgo
Thanks for the photo of your compressor mount up I would be interested in a couple more photos if possible and a little more info on your compressor.
Did you make the mount for the compressor? What is it out of? Did you use the standard Commodore serpentine belt?
Thought I'd get all the questions out there at once mate  Grin Grin

Frankie
For the cost of new units on ebay I wouldn't worry about buying a second hand one and there is the gas issue after all, the VS system that I have uses R134a
The underdash unit I am looking at on ebay is only 395mm x 360mm x 130mm $227 with a bulkhead fitting ($188 without), he can also supply hoses and fittings.
I purchased a second hand unit a while ago (cost $250) when I started thinking of this issue and when I got it back the fans would not work etc etc. For the price and added possible gas issues I am going to go new mate.

Regards
Neil H
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »

Graham , I helped installed the one on Wayne's grey and it is easy enough to replace the water pump backing plate with a larger slightly thicker plate ,slotted and drilled to carry your compressor and relocate your alternator[generator] and brace the bracket back to the intake manifold . Just be careful of the belt alignment .I still have the pattern for the plate in a drawer somewhere .I got bagged a little about the old under dash unit in the photo but it is all hanging under the dash and wont interfere with the glove box or the wiper arms ,it is 460mm long 300mm wide and although it is 135mm deep it would hang less than 100mm below the dash. Obviously its from the 70's and probably can no longer be used but I'm just saying that the new units are not that much more compact and more difficult to install [just my opinion] .  Haydn
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

Thanks Haydn,
The diagram would be good and any pics you have. What brand of compressor did you use and does the Type/Size of the condenser have to match the size of the under dash unit? Did the air con take much power out of the motor?
Cheers,
Graham
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »

Check Wayne's [Old Mt Isa Boy] build .Vintage Air I think . I didn't like the idea as I have had little to do with Air con and like you was worried about the lack of horses under the hood .Also ,the knobs are on the Yank side near the passengers knee and the ducting is a bit of a nightmare [I used flexible kitchen sink hose from the hardware to adapt to the different size vents].Haydn
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »

Hey Neil h that unit your talking about can you give me the details so I can look at it and maybe even purchase one myself.
Cheers Frankie.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »

I was thinking of getting a generic thing like this for the fans and internal stuff but originally I was looking into the modern mini Cooper compressor and components. I think I like the idea of a new unit but with some mods here and there. It's a good convo though with quite a few of us needing to sort it. There's a complete vk system on eBay atm. http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/universal-compact-air-conditioning-heater-kit

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »

Hi Frankie give this a try
UNDERDASH TYPE AIR CON EVAPORATOR& BULKHEAD FITTING HOLDEN FORD HOTROD CHRYSLER Item number 321647025989 users name is pusti05

Give it a try mate
Regards
Neil H
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »

JB can you give me an idea of where you relocated the coil pack to, did you just have to extend the wires going to the pack and were the original spark plug leads reuseable.
I have been doing some fiddling with the engine I have in my workshop (on an engine stand) for my EK ute and think if I move the coil pack back to the firewall then the spark plug leads will be ok and I just have to extend coil pack wires.

Comments appreciated guys.
Regards
Neil H
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

I think I relocated them onto the back of the block, using gear box bolts to mount it. Then just changed the leads around to suit.
PM GlennM to see if he will put up a photo for you.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »

Thanks JB
I will PM Glenn when I get a chance.
May have it sorted I spoke to a company here in Perth who have smaller compressors that are alternator type mounted (swing in/out) not 4 bolt like the commodores will go and have a look to see if I can get it into the space close to where it should be.

I report back after the expedition (cut lunch and a six pack from where I live)  Grin

Regards
Neil H
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »

Hey Neil h I will check it out and let you know and thanks again.
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »

FrankieJ I purchased mine yesterday so it should arrive in a week or so knowing Aussie Post.i will let you know what it is like.
The guy I spoke to yesterday who runs the car air conditioning company asked if I had bought a new under dash unit or a second hand one he said much better to buy a new one maybe because of the gas issue I will ask him when I go to see about the compressor.
Regards
Neil H
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »

Can you pls ask whether it's a matter of certain gases needing to run at certain pressures as the reason or is it just that the seals dry out.

Deano

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 09:46:06 PM »

Hey thanks Neil much appreciated
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »

Well went to see the Air Con guy and have received the underdash unit.
Aircon guy was great he said that the underdash units are surprisingly efficient and it will work well; he had said that if the compressor I had purchased was indeed brand new he would swap it for me for a smaller compressor and he was good to his word he swapped it for a alternator type mounted one which is a lot smaller than the standard VS one and as SGO said it will fit down on the passenger side and keep it out of the way.

Would still like to see a photo of your mount SGO (compressor mount that is  Grin)

I am going to make up a mounting bracket and trial fit it to my EK ute engine that I have in my workshop before fitting to the sedan.

Will post photos of compressor and mount when I get it looking right.

Regards
Neil H
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »

pic as requested:

Funny you describe the compressor as an "alternator type", as that is pretty much how it is mounted.
Bottom mounts are part of engine mount bracket.
Top mount is as shown in previous pic.
The belt used is standard A/C commodore belt. Just make sure the pulley on the compressor matches the commodore belt in width etc.
Haven't much info on the compressor as it was bought new and for the smallest size I could get!
Hose connections had to be right-angle mount and modified to clear subframe etc.
You can see this in previous pic.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: