FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:24:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Has anyone fitted one ?
good idea -
2 100%
bad idea -
0 0%
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: VL commodore wiper motor ?  (Read 6569 times)
57effie

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »

Hi guys,
New to the forum (and computers). I have a 57 FE Special Sedan. Bought it about 4 years ago off the old girl who bought it new on the 4th April 1957 from Eagers in Brisbane and got the reciept, warranty and some other assorted documents with it. Its never been unregistered, still on the original plates. It was in reasonable condition, well used. She was a woman who never married so no family or pets and it lived under a brick house so very little rust. She sold it because she had bought a smaller car with seat belts. It seems that her mother had started to fall out of the car whenever the door was opened. I have had the grey motor rebuilt and I'm in the process of making it a little more user friendly as it is now my daily driver. Electric wipers are needed and I have 2 VL commodore wiper motors and was wondering if anyone has fitted them and if anyone has or knows where a wiring diagram might be found. I am also wanting to set the tappetts with a dial guage. Can anyone describe the procedure ? When I get the hang of this thing (computer) I'll stick up some foto's.

Cheers

57Effie
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »

Preslite motors are generally the easiest to adapt, since they share the same mounting bolt pattern as the EK wiper motor base.  You will also need the rotating linkage assembly from an EK which bolts to the output shaft of the motor and connects the wiper arms.

I have used a Preslite wiper motor from a VN before with good results… I’m not familiar with the VL motor, but if it’s preslite, I’m sure it can be made to work.

There are a few ways to wire it up but essentially all you need is a switch with 3 positions OFF, 1 and 2… Alternatively you could simply drop the voltage using a resistor for a slow speed... depends on your electrical know how and choice of switch as to the complexity of your wiring.
Brettf has found a good aftermarket wiper switch.. sorry no link.
Ken McLean also is very knowledgeable on wiper conversions and has put together conversion kits.

your car sounds like a good find.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »

The VS wiper motor also fits the pattern for the base.

Phone +64 223509263
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13343.40.html

I need to get out more. One of my favourite Bookmarks.

Regards

Wayne
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »

Thanks Guys,

All fine advice. Checked out the link Wayne, thank you. Motor looks the same as the 2 I have. Same plug and wiring as well. Was it set up as a 2 speed or with intermitent as well ?  Looks like I'll be spending some time fiddling. Let you Know how it goes.

Cheers for now.

Mark
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »

Would appreciate it if you could supply details of your car - ie the ID plate and chassis number for our records

Congrats on the purchase - sounds good  - look forward to seeing the photos

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: