FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:34:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: hq stubs vn diff  (Read 2806 times)
59fcwagon

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »

Hi guys i no this has been discussed numerous times and i have read thoroughly on the topic however just wanted to confirm things. I have mounted hq stubs and rotors on my fc (hr front, standard steering) and have redrilled them to commodore pattern. I have also already had a diff converted by pat gardener. With no springs and standard commy rims i have jacked up the front on full lock (using HKTG steering arms) and the wheel hits the guard about the point the bumpstop touches, however there is about 30mm more compression. Do you have to move the steering stops?? because at the moment to avoid hitting the guard i would have to move it about 50mm. Is this right? it seems like too much. Is it possible/legal to get bigger bump stops or weld a plate where bump stop hits. i put a 10mm peice of steel in where bump stop hits and it clears the guard. i know it will affect how much i can lower it but might be better than the steering option. Has everyone encounted this problem??

Also am wondering what proportioning valve for the brakes to use. i am running gemini booster with xb master. Any help on these topics would be great. thanks guys
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »

First - check that the HKTG steering arms are not giving you a tighter turning circle than stock HR steering arms. If so then you can add metal to the stops to increase turning circle.
I'm sure I have done this before and not had the guard problems you talk of - how wide are the Commodore wheels? Commodore wheel offset is normally so far inwards that there is plenty of guard clearance.
You can put in a 10 mm piece of steel on the bump stop to increase the turning circle past stock - V8 cars have an increased turning circle with the shortened rack, but you should avoid it if you can, just to aid driveability.
What sort of brakes are on the rear - If they are HQ style then you should emulate the same brake set up which the HQ had with the in-line proportioning valve.

Ken
59fcwagon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »

thanks ken i will check the hr arms. the tyres are 205/65/15. i know these are about 20mm bigger in diameter but it still would hit. they are the standard 40mm offset and they do sit in a fair bit - close to original i reckon.I have standard guards - not rolled. I am running hj brakes up front with vn rear. i just don't want to fork out for an adjustable one unless absolutely necessary. do you know the difference in piston sizes for both?? Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: