FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 19, 2024, 07:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: V6 Supercharge conversion  (Read 8606 times)
Holdens n Hearses

Model: FC

Evil since 1970

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »

I have for sale a VS2 Caprice V6 factory supercharged engine, auto trans, harness & computer. You can have anything you need from the Caprice for a conversion ... 8 month old radiator, diff & cradle, tailshaft, fuel tank & pump etc. The Caprice is complete so come and try before you buy. I have all the tools & equipment to remove the driveline and will assist if needed. Located in Sydney ... $1800 ono

If it’s an ambulance,
You’ve got a chance.
But if it’s a hearse,
It’s gotta be worse.
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »

problem is, its 0.5ltrs to big and not legal, in most states for an fc/fe

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »

problem is, its 0.5ltrs to big and not legal, in most states for an fc/fe

FE FC's are not capped at 3.3L

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:13:23 AM »

Nes,

Can you explain why there is no capacity cap please?

Assuming we are trying to meet NCOP VSB14, my understanding is that the engine capacities are not mandatory. The wording used is "the recommended maximum capacity (swept volume) of engines for passenger cars and passenger car derivatives". Any engineer can override the "recommendation" and allow a bigger motor. Few will (at least in NSW). A 350 Chev is within 1.5% of meeting the "recommendations" in my EK wagon.... yet I could not get any engineer to accept it. Some will allow larger motors but require additional testing - the one guy I found who would do so wanted beam testing etc.... an additional $4500 on top of the engineering cost  Shocked with no guarantee of passing the test.

So assuming we can't find an engineer to push the limits, we need to meet the "recommendations".

The mass of the vehicle referred to in Tables LA1, LA2 and LA3 is the original (unmodified) tare mass of the model vehicle fitted with the largest engine available for the model in Australia but without optional accessories (air conditioning, tow bars etc.). The mass of the vehicle, whether it is a sedan, station wagon, utility, etc., should be based on the heaviest sedan version of the model (not station wagon version) sold in Australia. For FE this is probably 2377lb (Business Sedan, = 1078kg) and for FC 2417lb (Business Sedan, = 1096kg). This assumes kerb weight = tare weight, which most engineers believe (though not all - some still believe that the RTA have a special list of weights).

Sadly, this is under 1100kg (FB/EK were the first to weigh that much  Grin), so the supercharged engine capacity "recommendation" is Original mass (kg) x 2.75 = max. capacity in cc’s. For FE, this is 1078 x 2.75 = 2964.5cc, and for FC is 1096 x 2.75 = 3014cc. Looks like John is right, and that a blown 3.3L engine is a tad too big. If we were able to sneak the tare weight up to 1100kg (by heated discussion with the engineer  Tongue) then the formula becomes Original mass (kg) x 3.0 = max. capacity in cc’s, and our FE/FC can have a 3.3L blown motor.

I might have the above wrong - happy to hear alternate views.

Cheers,
Harv
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »

Didn't say there was no cap but rather 3.3 was acceptable, unless something drastic has changed and my 5L conversion is running on the old rules

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »

I was told that 4.0 ltr. was the max for FE/FC. Not sure if this is the case or not.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:00:55 PM »

Something really drastic changed in NSW... with the reconfiguration of automotive engineering rules, many engineers no longer practice, and those that do are often very, very touchy about compliance. It is often no longer "engineering" (a profession based around sensible assessment of individual boundary conditions) but about "compliancing" (a profession based around sadly rigid rules and the threat of prosecution, liability or prohibition).

Unsupercharged rule is Original mass (kg) x 4.0 = max. capacity in cc’s. So for FE we get 1078 x 4.0 = 4312cc (263ci), and for FC is 1096 x 4.0 = 4384cc (268ci) i.e. 253's are acceptable, 308's are not. If we again stretch the tare weight to 1100kg, we get Original mass (kg) x 5.0 = max. capacity in cc’s, allowing our FE/FC to have a 5.5L (336ci) engine i.e. 327 would be acceptable, 350 would not.

Cheers,
Harv
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »

OK Guys, back on topic thanks, Motor for Sale, the new owner can work out the legality issues.

zl296

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »

put it in drive it

enjoy.

F.T.W. Shocked

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »

put it in drive it

enjoy.

F.T.W. Shocked
If it can be engineered.

zl296

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 06:45:46 PM »

this sort of work was done on old old holdens V/8,s in them..hot red motors
without a problem..years ago
its like when you went to school
some one has to check your work.. whens its right anyway.... Roll Eyes
now its for money..not safety..as you would not do it if it was not safe?.... Wink

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »

Are you sellings other parts off the Caprice?
I need a dash facia and some other odds n ends.
Thanks.
ACE  Cool
Holdens n Hearses

Evil since 1970

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »

Yes I'm wrecking out the whole car as it was hit in the O/S/R and is not worth repairing.
If you want to make a list I'll get a pic of each part for you.

If it’s an ambulance,
You’ve got a chance.
But if it’s a hearse,
It’s gotta be worse.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »

Hello,

What's the sump shape like?  ie a bowl at the rear?

also does that price quoted include everything needed for conversion  or just engine, trans, ECU, wiring?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Holdens n Hearses

Evil since 1970

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »

Ed you get any part from the VS Caprice you need for the conversion. If you look on ebay, just for the engine and trans you'll be paying $2200+ plus you can't test it before purchase. I'll throw in any other part of the driveline you want for a conversion.

Here are some pics of the sump.

If it’s an ambulance,
You’ve got a chance.
But if it’s a hearse,
It’s gotta be worse.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »

Gday,